November 21, 2008

Gigantic is Mixed Bag


I really wanted to like Gigantic, a new offering from Dark Horse Comics created by writer Rick Remender (Fear Agent, End League) and artist Eric Nguyen (Strange Girl) and maybe I will eventually, but the first issue didn't grab me. The premise is similar to the film, "The Truman Show," but with a giant, Japanese-movie-style robot guy and Godzilla-like bad guys tossed in. Many aspects of Remender's script work well, particularly the stuff about Aliens creating the earth as an enormous reality TV show and the realistic dialogue between the two main Earth characters in the beginning. Additionally, the art is fine, albeit a bit sketchy in places. But the result is less a marriage of diverse influences in which the whole becomes greater than the parts, and more a hodge-podge of discordant elements that don't quite mesh. I think I'll check out issue two before passing judgment on the series but right now I'm on the fence.—RFM
2/5 for now

No comments:

Post a Comment