September 5, 2008

Witchblade #120 Review

Witchblade #120
Sara Pezzini has come a long way during her 120 issue lifetime and with no real end in sight, Ron Marz continues to pump out good stories though lately they have been a little lack-luster.

This issue focuses on Daniel Baptiste, who shares the Witchblade with Sara, as she lashes out at a nameless club guy who hits on her a little too hard. Sara comes in to help her out and the two spend the rest of the night talking.

This is definately an issue for the lady readers. The two talk about their trouble with men and how the good ones want to be with them but they want the bad boys. It doesn't make for a very interesting read except when Sara does her badass cop thing with the punk clubber.

I found myself wondering how a dude like Ron Marz feels about writing girly stories. He does do a good job of catering to the female audience as Witchblade is the only comic book I buy that my fiance will read. (A girl reading a comic? I know, I know ... she's awesome. Why do you think I asked her to marry me?)

I just can't wait for when Marz writes a totally kick-ass story with lots of um ... violence and stuff.

The issue's big fault is that Sara and Danielle do things which aren't explained. The two end their talk up on a bridge. How the hell did they get up there? On the next page it's revealed that the Witchblade allows the weilder to FLY?! I haven't been reading Witchblade since the beginning but I'm pretty sure she never flew ... with fairy wings no less.

It looks cool but it was a big thing that I felt deserved a bigger unveiling or at least an explanation.

The art however was, as always, stellar. Sejic has a knack for drawing chicks and making them look especially hot and not in the stupid, cartoony, FFF's-cups and toothpick waist kind of way.

The issue's ending is kind of strange as well. Dani is dancing then cut to a Rabbi writing Hebrew and getting killed. I'm not really into killing Jews but I'm really not liking all these stories which aren't connected.

We had the awesome story of David Iron's and him taking the Witchblade from Dani, then we get a Aphrodite appearance and no continuation of that story. (I'll assume Marz has plans for the future, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but definately could've used more Aphrodite.) Now we have a girls night out and I'm not really impressed. It's good for characterization but lets see some story arc's or something.

Speaking of story arc's, how does this issue tie in with the whole Broken Trinity thing? Even though BT hasn't had a second issue in nearly two months, I still really have no idea how they relate, if at all.

This issue wasn't bad but it wasn't good either so it gets an ok rating
2.5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment